“Cooping” is now our way of asking each other if we are working on the coop. “Are we cooping today?” There was no explaining needed. We knew that meant putting on our work overalls and heading outside to make some progress. Here is how I envision the definition in the dictionary:
cooping (ko̅o̅p ing)
Luckily, we are both very motivated to get the coop close to completion before the chicks arrive (7 days and counting AHHHH!). With the Easter holiday, we had a clear schedule so we could stay home and work. I still cannot believe all the work that we and by we, I mean Pete, accomplished. First, we leveled the ground to place the coop in the backyard behind the third stall of our garage.
Our zoning ordinance said it had to be at least 30 feet from the property line and closer to our residence so our choice was behind the third stall or behind our wooden fence and next to my neighbors two very large, very prey driven dogs. It was a no brainer to place them behind the garage. Plus, they will be protected from our blustery Minnesota winds in the winter and have 3 large oak trees for some shade in the summer.
The floor was installed, insulated and the walls were next. The back wall has window on the top and you can kind of see the what the view from the run will be with the frame for a pop door that will have a pulley system to open and a window on the right. This coop is going to have 3 walls with windows and the window free side with the access door to the coop. I have the windows so I thought I might as well use them. I am crossing my fingers that it was not a bad decision and my hens will be basking in the sunlight with the summer breeze blowing through their feathers and not shivering from the winter wind.
Here is an overhead view of our coop. The outside walls went up next. I originally planned to paint the coop to match our house which you can see is red with a buff/beige trim. The siding ended up looking like the trim on our house. The coop looked like the opposite of our house! I was going to paint the siding red but my mother in law said she liked how it looked and so did I! I may leave it as it is and paint the trim red.
It looked great but I was antsy to get the windows and door cut out so it would look more like the finished product. Pete needed to first insulate before the inner walls could be put in and more important – windows cut out.
It was amazing how fast everything was coming together once it was outside! We did take some time to celebrate Easter with my sister and her family. My little niece, Harper, looking into her basket. What do you get a 1 year old for Easter?! Blueberry Gerber puffs and bubbles! She is so cute! I think the basket is a little big for peeking inside.
We were so lucky that Pete’s parents were coming up for Easter lunch that day. Joe, Pete’s dad, would be a great help for Pete since he is more proficient with power tools than I. Carol, Pete’s mom, was bringing most of the Easter lunch so we were appreciative they could come. It wasn’t as long of a “cooping” day on Sunday but it was just as productive.
You can see in the second picture that windows were being cut out of the walls. Yeah! I am also in these pictures which proves I was actually there. Ha ha. I am always the one taking the pictures so I am rarely seen. I joke that my children will have no childhood memories of me because I am never in pictures and when I am, Pete takes the picture with part of my head cut off.
One of my favorite parts of the day was not only the windows being cut out but that Joe wore his Hee Haw Chicken overalls! Awesome! I can’t think of a better occasion to wear them.
After the windows were cut out, we decided to call it a day. The “cooping” was completed for the day and would resume tomorrow. We wouldn’t be “cooping” tomorrow but digging a trench to bury the hardware cloth around the outside. “Trenching”